Electric Bike Battery Information
To get the best out of your electric bike battery it is important to know how to look after it. Charging and care are the two most important factors when looking at the life and service of a battery.
Batribike use the ProMovec electric system and Lithium-ion batteries for the latest European built bikes. The quality batteries have either Sanyo or Panasonic cells depending on the bike model or battery capacity.
All of our batteries are certified to UN38.3. This is a worldwide legal requirement for battery safety and charger compatibility.
The battery cases come in several different styles. The battery can either be “hidden” or disguised on the bike, or fitted to the frame or rack. However, the internal cells and battery management system is the same, just packaged in a slightly different way.
There are a number of factors that affect the performance and hence the range of your electric bike. Terrain, riding pattern, tyre pressure, user weight and temperature all play a part. Time is a factor too, all batteries deteriorate with time, whether in use or not.
Obviously, if the terrain is hilly, you are likely to use more power. Also, the surface you are riding on can make a difference. A smooth tarmacked surface takes less effort. A softer surface, such as sand, or a loose substance like gravel takes more effort. Keeping tyres pumped up makes a big difference because soft tyres have more rolling resistance and drag. Tyres pumped to the correct pressure will give you more miles from your battery.
In general terms: If you are somewhere where it would be hard work to ride an ordinary bicycle, then it will probably use more from the battery on your electric bike than easier conditions.
Electric Bike Battery Charging
All of the battery types are easily removed for indoor charging. Charging works the same way as when you charge your mobile phone or laptop. Each bike is supplied with a charger and a flat battery is fully charged in 4 to 6 hours. In addition, the batteries can be charged on or off the bikes.
The electric bike battery does not have to be completely discharged before it is recharged. A Lithium battery has no “memory” and therefore can be charged at any time. It is perfectly acceptable to recharge the battery after a short ride so that the battery is fully charged before the next ride.
The electric bike battery supplied with your Batribike will be delivered from the factory in a state of sleep. The first time you use the battery it requires activation by being fully charged. (The Batribike Official Stockist may already have done this for you when you bought the bike – please check)
Important Storage Information
Batteries do not like to be stored in very hot or very cold conditions, or to be subject to conditions of high moisture. They also do not like to be left in a fully discharged state. If Lithium batteries are left flat for an extended period they may no longer be functional.
- Store your battery between 15 °C (59 °F) and 25 °C (77 °F) in a dry area. (The conditions found in a normal domestic house).
- If your Batribike is not in use for an extended period it is imperative that you charge the battery before storage and then charge the battery once a month to prevent deterioration.
Important Charging Information
Lithium batteries (and indeed any type of rechargeable battery) do not like to be left discharged. It is good practice to recharge as soon as is reasonably possible after the battery goes flat. We recommend charging after every ride, that way your electric bike is always ready for your next outing.
- Do not charge at temperatures below 0 °C (32 °F)
- Switch off the battery before charging. (If the battery has a switch on it).
- Battery can be charged on or off the bike.
- Always make sure the battery and charger are on a non-flammable, dry surface away from sources of heat, humidity and flammable materials.
- Do not cover the battery or charger whilst charging.
- Only use the charger supplied.
- Even if not in use, recharge your battery a minimum of once a month.
- Plug the charger into the battery before switching on at the mains.
- Similarly, switch off at the mains before unplugging the charger from the battery.
- Do not leave charger permanently connected.
Other important information
DO NOT :-
- Pierce or crush
- Immerse in liquid
- Expose to temperatures over 60 °C (140 °F)
- Short circuit the battery connections
- Leave unattended whilst charging
- Sleep near a battery that is charging
- Keep battery away from children
The electric bike battery has a 2 year Warranty as Standard. The warranty covers a minimum capacity of 70% from the date of purchase.
Register your battery with ProMovec. See the link on the Warranty Registration page.
Warranty Upgrade Offer
The battery warranty is optionally extendable to 5 years. Customers can extend their warranty with ProMovec to five years directly on the ProMovec website. The extended warranty covers a minimum capacity of 70% at the end of a further 3 years, giving a total of 5 years.
All batteries should be disposed of responsibly. Your Batribike Lithium battery is no different, and most local authorities offer recycling and disposal facilities. Alternatively, you may return your battery to Batribike for disposal.
At Batribike we use a good quality electric bike battery in all of our bikes. We want our customers to have a good riding experience and this starts with the heart of the bike. The batteries we use are matched with the BMS (Battery Management System) and bike controller to get the best out of the system. Furthermore we believe that the ProMovec transferrable warranty is second to none.
Finally, as long as you look after your battery, it will look after you, and give you many miles of happy cycling.